Doherty Associates (DA) has delivered IT solutions for the past 30 years to some of the world’s most prestigious and demanding clients. Our focus is on the professional and financial services sector, including leading private equity and venture capital firms and top 10 UK law firms.
We pride ourselves on our expertise in these high growth FCA-regulated verticals, and we are constantly developing new ways to support these sectors with leading-edge solutions.
We have also been successful in onboarding larger organisations with more than 300 employees, including a leading global natural resources firm with over 35,000 employees. We have been adept at building on professional services projects to cross-sell complementary managed services.
We have ambitious plans to grow the business over the next three years and the Sales Director will play a key part in delivering this goal.
This position will suit a collaborative and established professional, who aspires to be part of a wider business team and drive success across the whole of business.
About the role
Reporting to the CEO, the Sales Director will be primarily responsible for leading the sales team; Account Managers, who sell complex technical solutions into our existing client base and New Business Development Managers who concentrate on winning new logos.
As a member of the senior management team, you will be involved in developing and influencing the strategic direction of the business and be responsible for delivery of a predictable revenue stream. You will be assessed on consistent and profitable growth in sales revenues through planning and most importantly, effective management of the sales team.
- Ensure sales effectiveness and delivery:
- Set standards and enforce our governance processes
- Assess the team capacity and competencies – use different training techniques to coach, to ensure they understand how to position DA’s offerings and can effectively articulate their value
- Set performance metrics. Conduct regular 121s and performance reviews to monitor progress and measure sales effectiveness
- Promote accountability while ensuring urgency and accuracy within the team, appropriate focus and engagement with C-suite contacts
- Manage the sales incentive structure ensuring it remains motivational to individuals and beneficial to the business
- Be a visible leader (within your team and the wider business) – foster a supportive, inclusive, and collaborative environment
- Prepare and manage a robust operating plan to inform the existing sales forecast, to ensure that budget and operating targets are met
- Ensure forecasting accuracy
- Continuously review and refine the sales process (in conjunction with the CEO). Ensure it is documented, communicated, understood, and followed by the sales team and the wider business
- Collaborate with internal and external stakeholders to execute on and support a cohesive go-to-market approach
- Lead the business efforts on client 360s roadmaps, maximising revenue opportunities from existing clients
- Work closely with the Marketing team to identify initiatives that support:
- the overall sales strategy into the existing base and ensure their delivery
- generation of new leads to enable the winning new logos
- Actively identify potential risks with clients, particularly those targeted or already using competitive services. Develop plans to de-risk and proactively engage with the client
- Establish a discipline of sales management through BI, forecasting and prospecting that is recognised as the blueprint for sales management within DA
- Report on success metrics by translating the business targets into sales targets
- Articulately interpret the results of the analyses in reports, presentations, and recommendations to key stakeholders
- Collaborate with the finance team in determining the sales budget as well as appropriate internal budgetary allocations
Knowledge, Skills & Experience
- Background in selling of complex annuity services and consultancy (rather than product), ideally MSP experience with a client base of 100+ user organisations
- Track record of delivering successful sales performance
- Evidence of successful and decisive leadership (setting clear direction, managing, coaching, developing) of the sales team
- Very good written and fluent spoken English – you will be the guardian of sales proposal quality standards
- Evidence of managing a structured sales process, using CRM to manage and monitor results
- Experience of defining sales commission plans for sales teams to drive and reward the required behaviours
- Evidence of sound commercial acumen and decision making in a broad variety of complex business scenarios
- Professional with gravitas (influential and executive level)
- Natural leader with high level of empathy, committed to developing a respectful and inclusive working environment
- Structured and organised
- Self-motivated and positive with ability to bounce back
- Adaptable – able to respond to a fast-changing economic and technical environment