Business Development Specialist
Doherty Associates has delivered IT solutions for the past 30 years to some of the world’s most demanding clients. Our main focus is on the professional and financial services sector, including leading private equity and venture capital firms and top 10 law firms.
We pride ourselves on our expertise in these high growth FCA-regulated verticals, and we are constantly developing new ways to support these sectors with leading-edge solutions.
Having been in business for thirty years, we have also been successful in targeting organisations with more than 300 employees, including a leading global natural resources firm with over 35,000 employees. We have been adept at building on professional services projects to cross-sell complementary managed services offerings.
Reporting to the Sales Director, we require a Business Development Specialist with strong interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to sell complex technical solutions to new clients in our chosen sectors.
This role sits alongside the sales and account management team, and you will be working closely with marketing colleagues. You will be working with an established sales process framework utilising the CRM to plan and manage opportunities to the close stage.
We have ambitious plans to grow the business over the next three years, and a successful candidate will play a key part in delivering this goal.
To win new logo clients by selling the Doherty Associates portfolio of recurring (annuity) services and consultancy into our target sectors.
This will be achieved by:
- Qualifying opportunities generated by our marketing team and building a deep understanding of the potential client’s business needs. Nurturing leads and progressing qualified opportunities by building relationships with our target clients. You must have a keen interest in what our clients do. They are passionate about their businesses, and you will need to be passionate about their businesses too. You must be as comfortable dealing with C-Suite level clients as with IT specialists. Using your technical knowledge to understand, translate, and propose products or solutions by focusing on client requirements and matching them with our technology offerings’ through communicating information, whether technical or non-technical, to staff members and prospective clients clearly and concisely.
- Managing the tender process for RFP opportunities, ensuring all the relevant parties across the business are involved in producing a quality result in the required timescales.
- Producing high quality and compelling proposal documents and, where appropriate, PowerPoint presentations that will impress potential customers. You must feel comfortable ‘on your feet’ presenting to senior clients.
- Overcoming objections within client organisations and work with them and the business to close the opportunity. Take the lead on negotiations for a win-win close and then managing the handover to your account management colleagues.
We are looking for five years plus experience selling technology solutions based on Microsoft Cloud and on-premises technologies to services businesses, preferably within a managed service provider or similar business with Gold level accreditations. Typically, these will be Microsoft Cloud, 365 and Azure solutions that extend and connect with on-premises infrastructure. Also, you will need to be comfortable with various supporting hardware, software and services, such as security UTM, networking, etc.
A degree or similar qualification in computer science or an IT-related subject is highly desirable, and we will be looking for candidates who can demonstrate a real enthusiasm for the services and products we provide and an appetite for professional and personal development within our firm. In any event, you will have a keen interest in technology and how it can empower clients to achieve more and improve results while reducing risk and safeguarding information. You should be up to speed with the latest industry developments, technology trends and changes.
It would also be desirable to have demonstrable experience of working with clients in our key sector verticals.
You should be able to demonstrate:
- A hunger for success and a laser-like focus on your target
- The ability to bounce back from disappointment
- The ability to work independently and be self-motivated
- That you are articulate and professional and an excellent oral and written communicator
- Strong proposal writing skills – and an ability to translate technical jargon for a non-technical audience.
- Excellent time management and the ability to manage competing priorities
- Attention to detail and a diligent and precise approach to your work.
- Credibility and gravitas in the way you handle senior-level client management.
- Curiosity and the ability to listen
- An ability to work with technical colleagues within cross-functional teams within the business
- Strong negotiation skills and the ability to close deals.